Long time no see!
I have just uploaded a new version of Orange Commands, including a long time wished-for feature: the ability to export your document’s slices as CSS (so you can export sprites directly from Fireworks).
The way it works is very simple:
- Create a nice design in Fireworks. Save your document.
- Slice it as you see fit, using the “Slice” tool.
- Give each slice a name in the Property Inspector panel.
- Run the command in Commands » Export » Slices as CSS Sprite.
The command will do three things:
- Create a yourfilename.css file.
- Copy the contents of that file to the clipboard, so you can paste the styles in your editor of choice.
- Create a yourfilename.html file, so you can see a demo of how your sprites look like.
Right now the commands uses one type of sprite (block display, hidden overflow, negative text-indents), but I intend to make it generate different kinds of sprites (so you can use a sprite for inline icons on links, for example).
Download the new version at the Downloads section.
Please play with it and let me know how it works and what you’d change about it in the comments!